In this post, I will show you the step-by-step guide on how to connect Xbox One controller to PC on Windows. Remember, Windows 10 comes with an in-built Xbox app. Windows PC allows you to play games with a wireless Xbox controller apart from using keyboard or mouse.
There are three ways to connect Xbox one controller to PC.
- Using USB cable
- Using Xbox wireless adapter for Windows
- Via Bluetooth
- Xbox wireless built in app ( some PC comes with this for direct connection without an adapter).
How to connect Xbox One controller to PC
Let me walk you through the methods in details:
How to connect Xbox One controller to PC Using USB Cable
Plug a USB charging cable into the front of the controller and plug the other end into your PC.
With USB connections, you can connect up-to 8 Xbox Wireless Controllers at the same time, or 4 controllers that have Xbox Chat Headsets attached. If the controllers have Xbox Stereo Headsets, only 2 can be connected at the same time.
Let’s see the second option…
How to connect Xbox One controller to PC using Xbox Wireless (Built-in or with Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows)
- On your PC, go to Settings > Devices.
- Choose Add Bluetooth or other device.
- Select Everything else.
- Select Xbox Wireless Controller.
- Click Done.
With Xbox Wireless connections, you can connect 8 Xbox Wireless Controllers at the same time, or 4 controllers that have Xbox Chat Headsets attached. If the controllers have Xbox Stereo Headsets, only 2 can be connected at the same time.
How to connect Xbox One controller to PC using Bluetooth
Xbox One Wireless Controllers may support connecting to your PC via Bluetooth. Your controller has this feature if it looks like the one on bottom in this illustration:
Follow these steps to pair your controller to your PC using Bluetooth:
- Turn on your Xbox Wireless Controller by pressing the Xbox button.
- Press the controller bind button for three seconds and release.
- On your PC, select Start, then Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices.
- Turn on Bluetooth so your PC can discover Bluetooth devices.
- Select Xbox Wireless Controller > Pair.
How to connect Xbox One controller to PC with Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
When you connect an Xbox Wireless Controller to your Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 PC with a micro-USB cable, Windows will automatically download and install the drivers for the controller. If Windows is not set to automatically download device software, you can check for updates through Device Manager.
Update drivers through Device Manager
Here’s how to check for updates manually in the Device Manager:
- Point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then select Search.
- Enter Device Manager in the search box, and then select Device Manager.
Note Windows may ask you for an administrator password or to confirm your choice.
- Locate and expand Microsoft Xbox One Controller.
- Right-click the expanded Microsoft Xbox One Controller and select Update Driver Software.
- Select Search Automatically for Updated Software.
With Xbox Wireless or USB connections, you can connect 4 Xbox Wireless Controllers at the same time. You won’t get audio through the controller so there’s no need to connect a headset. Bluetooth connections are not supported.
Click here to apply for latest jobs in nigeria